Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Squidelicious

Last week I had the privilege of videotaping a few of my friends partake in yet another Korean tradition- eating live squid! Now, when I say live, what I mean is that the tentacles have been chopped off of the body and eaten while they are still wriggling and sucking. Yummy! People have actually choked to death because they didn’t chew properly and the suckers grabbed onto their throats and suffocated them. Or, so I’ve heard. Anyway, the entire thing was quite amusing to me. For one, it has the Fear Factor effect of just watching someone do something so gross you just have to watch. Furthermore, it was entertaining to watch my friends try to pick up these slimy, wriggling things- sucking for their lives to the plate- using chopsticks. Lastly, I got a kick at how you could drop it in the sauce and leave it there for a moment as it went for a swim. Here are a few videos if you want to check it out!







All in all, it was an entertaining evening. Of all the crazy things that happened that night, perhaps the stupidest thing I did was to use the shot glass of a friend who was sick. I figured that the soju would kill any germs, but I was wrong. Come morning, I had quite the sore throat. It was bad enough that I actually went to the doctor- a rarity for me- that afternoon. Luck me caught an upper respiratory infection. It's been one of the worst colds I've had in a long time. Going to the doctor in Korea isn't much different from going to the doctor anywhere back home. The biggest thing is that you don't need an appointment, just show up and wait a few minutes. Also, the cost of a visit is negligible. I actually have gone twice now and it was about $4 each time. What I think is most interesting is the prescriptions that get written. I've got all these little packets of pills and I have no idea what any of them are. I just have to go on faith. They seem to work though, so who am I to say anything. And they are cheap too. I take about 5 or 6 pills three times a day for five days and the cost was about $6. Can't complain about that! Can complain that my entire weekend was wrecked! I sat home going stir crazy and watching the first two and a half seasons of The Office- which, by the way, doesn’t get my vote for best sitcom.


Work yesterday was hellish, though I’m feeling slightly better this morning. I’m hoping that I’ll be up and about come tomorrow, since it is the beginning of my Lunar New Year vacation. No big plans, but it will be nice to have some time off and time to myself as most of my friends are out of town for the week. I’m going to try to make it into Seoul and find the foreign food market in Itaewon. I want to see of they’ve got some sour cream and guacamole because I’m having some of my friends over for a chili and quesadilla night on Sunday.


Last bit of interesting information- tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. I’ve decided to give up both beer and coffee for the next 40 days! I think that people are betting against me on this one, but I’ve made up my mind and I’m sure that I can do it. I’ve been consuming both in vast quantities and I need to cleanse out my system a bit. Should help me save a little money, too! I’m going to sign up of a yoga class next week with my friend Natalie. This body is going to be ready for the beach come summer!

No comments: