Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sick in South Korea

I’d caught a bad cold about 3 weeks ago, if anyone recalls, from sharing a shot glass with Coman, who was sick at the time. That cold came on out of nowhere and knocked me on my ass for a week or so. I’d been feeling mostly better when I had my fiesta last Sunday, just some minor sniffles, which is why it came as a bit of a shock when I passed out on my desk at work last Thursday! I was taken to the “hospital” (Koreans refuse to say “doctor’s office”, and say “hospital” instead) in the same building of my school. My diagnosis was that “Korean viruses are very strong” and that I had fainted because I was dehydrated. I was given an IV to get my fluids up and was able to lie down for a few hours to sleep. I think this is the first time I’d had an IV and though I knew there was nothing to really worry about, the whole situation was a little bit scary to me- especially being in a foreign country.

The IV actually helped a lot. It brought my fever down and took away the spinning sensation in my head. It didn’t, however, give me enough strength to teach my night classes, which my school expected me to do. I convinced my director to change my classes to the following night, all the while thinking that were I at home, I’d never be expected to come in the next day. But, in the next day I went, and it was not bad at first, but by the end of the day, my chest felt like a knife was being dug into it every time I coughed. That night, I had a terrible fever, a rarity for me, and couldn’t sleep through the night. I had the chills so bad I was literally shivering and too cold to get out from under my blankets to get warmer clothes.

Fortunately, the next day was Saturday, so no work (!) and I had a follow-up doctor’s appointment. Doctors in Korea don’t quite give you the same personal attention as doctors back home. For one, you don’t go into an examining room, you go into the doctor’s office. They don’t check physically for all your symptoms, but rather ask how you are feeling and type it into the computer. He looked down my throat, but that was about all. I told him my symptoms had gotten worse, and he prescribed me 3 more days of the same medicine I was already on. And an injection – of who knows what? Seems an injection is the norm with any doctor’s visit here.

It was a long weekend of sitting in bed watching TV and being bored out of my mind. The highlight was when Coman graciously came to bring me an inhaler and some ice pops- or ice lolies as he so charmingly referred to them. Sunday morning I was so sick and still not feeling any better- worse actually- that I called Mom and told her I wanted to come home. Being sick is bad enough, but when you are so far from home and have no one to take care of you, it’s absolute hell! I was nearly in tears.

Monday morning finally rolled around and I was feeling a tiny, itsy bit better, but I was not at all up to working. I called my boss, who insisted that I go back to the doctor! We waited for nearly 2 hours. I was half asleep, half in tears in the waiting room. Fortunately, this doctor showed a little more interest in my and my symptoms, and actually went as far as taking a chest X-ray to make sure that didn’t have bronchitis or pneumonia. I didn’t. But, I did have some pretty bad scaring from the cough. Whatever medicine she prescribed was infinitely more effective than whatever worthless pills the previous doctor had given me. I went home and slept the rest of the afternoon and was already feeling much better by the time my boss called to ask if I would mind coming in to teach my night classes (seriously).

It’s Wednesday night, and my cough is still terrible, and I’m still a bit stuffy, but all the aches and pains are gone, along with my fever. I just pray that I have a full recovery and don’t catch anything else! The weather is finally getting a bit warmer which I’m hoping will mean that cold season is ending. It’s been a rough winter!

No comments: