Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fiesta

Yes, that says Fiesta! Ole! There are a lot of fine foods from back home that I've had to learn to deal without- cheese, sour cream, guacamole, chili powder, limes... just to name a few. There is hope though and its unofficial name is The Foreigner Market in Itaewon. Itaewon is the one place you can go in Seoul which more closely resembles a Western City in that 1) there are usually more foreigners than Koreans, and 2) there are all sorts of great ethnic restaurants and shops. It's also more expensive than most places in Seoul and not really the kind of place you'd go to experience Korean culture. My trip there this weekend was only the third time I'd been there and it's a place I generally try to avoid because it's a bit of a tourist trap. However, I'd been without a bowl of chili for all to long and bribed my friends to come to a dinner party (I live far away from everyone) by temping them with some.

I must admit, when I saw the foreign market, I was a bit suspicious. It looked like nothing more than a convenience store from the outside. I doubted whether I'd find everything I was looking for, but I was pleasantly surprised! Packed into this tiny place I was able to find everything I needed and then some- jalapeƱos, salsa, tortillas! I was in heaven. Definitely worth the hour and a half train ride! They didn't just have Mexican food, though, they had Italian, Indian, Mediterranean... you name it. If it is sold anywhere in Korea, this is the place to find it. No Ricotta cheese though- looks like my dreams of stuffed shells will continue until I return home.

Anyway, I loaded up my backpack with everything I could find for my fiesta and cooked an amazing meal the next day, complete with quesadillas and homemade guacamole! Take that, everyone who went to tropical beaches over the holiday!

There were actually only a few of us- myself, Mi Hee, Erin, Natalie, Jemma, and Coman- our token guy friend for the evening. But the party was the most fun I've had in a long time. We played cards (a very violent game called spoons), did headstands (I have a crazy bruise on my knee from when “someone” pushed me over), and laughed and laughed, especially when Coman was called, "a son of a leprechaun!" Yes, it was just a bunch a friends being silly, but it sure is fun to be silly isn’t it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog!
I am headed for Ansan City in 10 days...w. be teaching.

Can I email you to get some more info. on your experience?

Congrats on the engagement : )

Christina said...

Absolutely e-mail me! My address is travelingchris@gmail.com It's always nice to have a new face around here. I'll help you out in anyway I can.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris! I just emailed you.
~Melinda