Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Noraebang

The Korean noraebang, literally "singing room," is the equivalent of what we Westerns popularly call karaoke. The difference is that you are in a small room with just your friends, so you can have more fun and not have to worry so much about making a fool out of yourself in front of strangers. It's more like having a karaoke machine in you house and singing at a party.

I avoided going to the noraebang for the first few months I was here- despite MiHee's request to do so nearly every time we went out- because I don't- as anyone who know me can testify- have the best voice. But, one particularly difficult day, I made a desperate attempt to get my friends to stay out a little bit longer by suggesting that we go to one. The result? A good time was had by all and noraebangs have since become a part of a typical weekend for me.

What's so interesting to me about going to the noraebang is that Koreans use it as a way to get rid of stress. One night when MiHee was particularly upset set all but demanded that we go the noraebang. Last night, my coworker was feeling depressed because she is fighting with her husband, and my director suggested I take her to the noraebang. We did, and when we were leaving, she thanked me for inviting her out and she seemed to have a genuine smile.

I don't know what it is- if it's the therapeutic power of music, being able to yell as loud as you want without anyone caring, or simply hanging out and being a bit silly with friends- probably a combination of all these,- but the noraebang certainly seems to have a positive effect on people. It's certainly a more positive outlet than many other alternatives. It seems like such a silly thing, but I highly recommend one anytime you're looking to have a good time!

No comments: