Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend Excursions

http://picasaweb.google.com/travelingchris/200707DaebudoIsland

My new friend Mi Hee was kind enough to bring me a tourist map of Ansan from City Hall the other day, and I decided that this weekend I would venture out on my own. Saturday morning I took a good look over the map and still had no idea, I was just going to walk a while in one direction and see what I could find. I thought that maybe if I were feeling brave, I might get on a bus or subway. The problem is, I don't know how to say my address in Korean, and my exact street isn't on the map. So, if I got lost, it would be very difficult to get back. It turns out that none of this would be a problem because Ji Won called me -just as I was on my way out- to see if I wanted to go to Mi Hee's mother's birthday party.

The party was on the top floor of a building at a catered restaurant. The food was set up buffet style. The party was well underway by the time we got there and we were seated in an overflow room. Food was buffet style- and I was ever so grateful! I had been a bit worried about having to potentially eat food I didn't like in front of a large number of people. I filled up my plate with a number of different rice items - little packets of rice wrapped in seaweed, different vegetable leaves, and such, shrimp and vegetables. Another bonus- no chopsticks! So I was able to get through the meal without looking like a fool. I met some of Mi Hee's family and close friends. Everyone here seems to love the chance to speak English, so I get a lot of attention. One woman had a baby -about a year old- who just keep staring at me. She had probably never seen anyone who looked like me before. Very cute kid.

Afterward, Ji Won and I went back to the school and spent a long time reviewing my tourist map. I asked a lot of questions and gained a better understanding of where, exactly, I was. I also asked her to write down my address in Korean so I could ask for directions, or hop in a cab if I got lost. Armed with map, address and several phone numbers, I set out to find my way to the Home Plus. There were a few things that I needed to get. It was a good choice for a destination because it should be only about a 20 minute walk. It was getting later in the day, so the prospect of walking an hour to get to the district I was originally planning was out of the question.

The walk turned out not to be so bad at all. At one point, I had to walk back a block to double check myself, but it was unnecessary because I was going the right way all along. When I got to where I thought the Home Plus should be, I didn't see it immediately. I walked another block and still didn't see it. I finally decided to stop and ask someone. "Do you speak English?" I asked a lady at a magazine stand. Blank stare. I gave her the map. "Home Plus?" I asked her. She pointed at the next street and motioned for me to go around the corner. I had found one Korean who was not eager to practice English. I should have asked any one of the half dozen or so children who called out to me on the street - "Hello! Nice to meet you. What's your name?" Kids have no fear. Everywhere I go, they call out to me. Even inside the store, they ran up to me to say hello. I think it's so cute.

I spent a good amount of time inside Home Plus. I was trying to find a power converter to change my American plug to a Korean plug. No luck. No one I talked to could understand converter. I tried to draw a picture, but they still had no idea. I looked through the electronics department and didn't see anything. I picked up a few other odds and ends then set out on a mission to find ground coffee. It seems impossible to find real coffee in Korea. Most places have coffee, but it is the equivalent of Nescafe. In the grocery store, you buy it in little packets that you add to hot water - like hot chocolate, sugar and milk already added. Many restaurants have coffee in a vending machine. It's the same sort of thing- a very sugary coffee-like substance, but not coffee. I thought if anyplace would have ground coffee for sale, it would be Home Plus. Much to my dismay, as far as I could tell from the Korean labels, I was out of luck! I spent about $10 on the best instant coffee they had, an Arabian blend. At least it wouldn't have all that sugar. I was on my way out, thinking I'd have to learn to get on without coffee in my life, when I passed though the electronics department again, and noticed three different models of coffee makers. I didn't buy one this visit, but it gave me hope. If they sell coffee makers, then someone, somewhere, has got to sell coffee. It is my new mission in life to find it. Then, I will invite all my Korean friends over for coffee and have fun watching them bounce off the walls! Tee-hee!

On my way home I realized that I had gone slightly out of my way going there, and I was glad for the 2 minute short cut, because I was very tired. When I got home, I cranked up the air and lay on my bed until I dozed off. I woke to the sound of the phone wringing- Ji Won calling me to see if I was home safe and if I wanted to go to the bookstore. I had asked her earlier if she would take me, but now I was so tired, I really didn't want to go. On the other hand, I didn't know when I'd get another chance, so I agreed. She asked me to meet her at the school -a ten minute walk- and every step of the way, I was thinking "I'm so tired, why am I doing this?" I was slightly more away by the time I got there, awake enough to refuse a cup of sugar water and we were on our way.

The book store was slightly disappointing. There were a number of books in English, but they were all either books to learn English or abridged versions of classics for students of English. I had hoped that they would at least have a small selection of new releases in English, but I couldn't find any. The trip wasn't a total failure, though, I got a few books for my advanced class to read. I was excited to find "Anne of Green Gables." It was my favorite book growing up. I probably read it 20 times. I'm going to give it to Joy to read. She is the best English speaker of them all, because she studied in Canada for a year. I think she will be able to read it fairly easily and it will suit her because, like Anne, she never stops talking!

Following the bookstore, we went to Mi Hee's friend's bar for a beer. I met one of her friends- Ozzy. "But not crazy like Ozzy the singer," he told me. Turns out, he actually is a little crazy, but a very nice guy. He has a ton of vinyl records and probably knows more about American music than most Americans. We had a nice time talking about music for a while, and he played me some Black Crowes. Then he performed "Let it Be" and "Desperado" on his guitar and sang for us. The guy was pretty decent. All in all, it was a good day, but after two beers, I was so tired, I could hardly keep my eyes open, so they took me home and I slept through the night.

The following day, Mi Hee, Ozzy and I went out to Daebu Island. We were going to ride bikes out there, but it was so crowded, that we just drove instead and parked near a quiet beach away from the mob. This area is unique because the tidal variation is enormous. Incheon, just half an hour away, has the second largest tidal variation in the world, second to somewhere in Canada (Bay of Fundi, maybe?). This is the measure of sea depth from high tide to low tide. I don't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere around 30 feet. This means that the shoreline might be as much as a mile or more difference between high tide and low tide. Aside from being a very interesting phenomena to view, the potential for harnessing renewable energy is huge. As it turns out, we past by a structure on the bridge, which read "World's Largest Tidal Power Plant." Pretty cool, I think. The world could use more ingenuity like this.

The tide was out when we got there, so we walked out for a little bit, but the ground was more muddy than sandy, so we didn't go too far. It was very messy. It was a lot of fun to look at all the crabs and snails and little mud fish. I collected some beautiful sea shells to decorate my bathroom. Though I thought it was beautiful there, I think that it might have been even better if it weren't so hazy. I could tell that there were other islands in the distance, but they were hard to make out. Despite the lack of sun, Mi Hee scolded me for wearing a tank top. "Next time," she told me, "Where sleeves, so you don't get a sun tan." Not likely Mi Hee, sorry. I like my tan!

We ate lunch at a restaurant right on the beach. We had huge, enormous shrimp. I tried to explain to my friends what an oxymoron was, but I wasn't sure if they got it. Later, Ozzy said "Quiet Riot," and then I knew he did get it. The waitress brought us a burner for the table and a frying pan lined with rock salt. We cooked the shrimp on top, using the salt like hot coals. It was so delicious! We talked about different ways that shrimp could be prepared and I told them that I love coconut shrimp. This reminded me that there was an Outback Steakhouse nearby, and I asked if they had ever been there. Ozzy had, but not Mi Hee. I told them I would take them when I got my first pay check. I'm very curious to see what it is like in Korea. Also, I promised Michael Der that I'd try to get him a pin.

We drank Korea wine made from wild strawberries. It was a little sweet and pretty tasty. We also had a bowl of noodle soup. I was told that it was pumpkin noodles. There were little clams in it, but I didn't eat them, only the noodles, vegetables and broth and I enjoyed that as well. Over all, it was my favorite meal I've had in Korea so far. We sat and talked and ate for a long time, and just enjoyed the day. It was a good weekend.

No comments: